- Book projects / manuscript assessments
- Reports / newsletters
- Research projects
- Press releases / reviews
- Catalogue copy / blog posts
- Magazine journalism
Rates: $0.50 – $1.00 per word depending on complexity of project (research required, number of interviews, travel, etc.).
Editing (fiction and non-fiction)
- Proofreading (looking for typos, missing content, checking page numbers: generally $25-$45 per hour)
- Copy editing (correcting grammatical errors, sentence structure and typos, generally $35-$60 per hour)
- Substantive/structural editing (re-organizing and restructuring the manuscript, generally $55-$90 per hour)
- Writing/rewriting (generally $55-$90 per hour)
- Writing advice/assistance/coaching (generally $45 to $90 per hour)
Rates as set by Professional Editors Association of Vancouver Island.
- High school essays (with a focus on grammar and vocabulary for international students)
- Academic papers (with a focus on grammar and vocabulary for international writers/students)
- First-time authors
- Authors who require assistance with a writing project
$35.00 per hour
“I started working with Catherine on my academic writings in July 2016. Before I met her, I felt myself stuck on a certain level of learning English [first language Russian]: when you know you still should improve but you have no idea how to do it. Catherine is helping me greatly to move on. With her assistance, I manage to look at my writings outside of the box.
“She showed me a number of tools I can use for enriching my vocabulary – I had never thought about some of those before, nor was I even aware of the rest of them. After her proofreading and explanations, my texts are becoming much more solid and smooth in language. I can highly recommend Catherine as a very professional editor and tutor. Moreover, she is just also a wonderful, delicate and smart person whom it is a real pleasure to work with.”
Anna Tsurkan, PhD
Centre for Analysis of Middle East Conflict
Institute of USA and Canada Studies /
Associate Fellow, University of Victoria
Centre for Studies in Religion and Society
* * *
“Catherine was an excellent mentor as I took my firsts steps into academic writing, as well as helping me to feel confident in my ability to write reports and proposals, an important aspect of my work. What I appreciated was Catherine’s strength-based approach, while also identifying where I am challenged in the writing process. Her patience, sensitivity and skillful teaching methods reduced my anxiety and frustration, and I have benefited greatly as the skills learned have had a lasting effect – my confidence in my abilities has increased exponentially as well.
Thank you Catherine! ”
Cowichan Intercultural Society